The Blue Anchor Building was home to the California Fruit Exchange. In 1901 the California Fruit Exchange was formed not only to market the farmers’ produce, but to wield more power in negotiating contracts with the railroad and produce brokers. The building, located across the street from the state capitol, is constructed in Spanish Colonial Revival style faced with stucco and topped with a low-pitched red tile roof. One of the distinctive elements is a two and half story tower at the junction of the buildings two wings. On the first floor landing is multi colored tile mosaic of a blue anchor, the insignia of the California Fruit Exchange. Designed by the firm of Starks and Flanders the building opened its doors in 1932. The building was dedicated to founder and former company president George H. Cutter. The California Fruit Exchange occupied the building until 1966 when they moved to a new building in North Sacramento. Since that time, the building has been used by state agencies.
3312 Bradshaw Road
The Brighton School was built in the mid 1850s. Originally constructed with one classroom, a small library, and two foyers. The one large classroom was later partitioned into three rooms to accommodate the growing needs of the community. An out-building built to the rear of the property also dates to the 1850s. Sometime between 1869 and 1891 the school building burned down. The existing schoolhouse was built soon after the fire. In 1923 the schools name was changed to the Edward Kelly School, in honor of the person on whose land the school stands.
J.C. Carly House
2761 Montgomery Way
The JC Carly house was built in 1922, designed by the Dean and Dean architectural firm. It is an example of Spanish Mediterranean Revival Style. The style incorporates simple massing with clean lines and details reminiscent of early Spanish settlements. The asymmetrical placement of windows and other decorative features suggest the influence of California on the Mediterranean style. Decorative features of this two story, rectangular house include stained glass, a carved doorway, and stylized rustic plank shutters. This was the residence of real estate developer J.C. Carly who was responsible for the development of the South Curtis Oaks and Curtis Park suburbs of Sacramento where the residence is located.
Coolot Company Building (Demolished)
812 J Street
The Coolot Company Building was built sometime before 1863, when Sacramento history credits the brick building with preventing the spread of a fire, which devastated much of the city. Built by Leland Stanford, the building was sold to Anthony Coolot who used the building for his variety store until his death in 1900. In 1885, the upper floor of the building was remodeled and used as hotel rooms. Sometime between 1915 and 1925, the façade of the building was decorated with Ernest Batchelder tiles. The addition of these tiles created a strong artistic aesthetic and complimented the Craftsman style of the building. The tiles formed a floral design with a blossom in the center, and surrounding circle and oak leaves and vines.
2101 G Street
The Cranston-Geary Residence is one of the best examples of the Craftsman style in Sacramento. The Craftsman style uses natural materials in designs created by individual craftsmen and artists. A large three-story house, the design includes some Prairie School elements seen in the tall slender wood windows and the wide canopied porches. The appearance of the roof and dormers suggests Japanese influence. Architect George C. Sellon’s design differs from Craftsman style emphasizing vertical rather than the typical horizontal lines and the Art Noveau design leaded glass windows add another unique feature.
Fire Station No. 6
3414 4th Avenue
Fire Station Number 6 is a two story rectangular building with tower. Built by Sacramento civil engineer Albert Givan, the style of the building reflects Prairie School design. Built in 1915, the Firehouse served the Oak Park community until 1979. Most of the major renovations to this building occurred in the 1920s and 1930s and consisted of the replacement of the truck doors and the closure of the rear stall opening. As originally constructed the building was the largest, the only four bay fire building, and the best equipped firehouse in Sacramento. Number 6 also had the only “tower” used to train firemen in multi-story building fires, in use until 1938. This building was rehabilitated and serves as The Wellspring Women’s Center.
Fire Station No.3
1215 19th Street
Fire Station Number 3 is one of two nineteenth century firehouses remaining in Sacramento. It was the oldest firehouse in use in the city when it was closed in 1982. Constructed in 1893 Fire Station Number 3 served the city west of Alhambra Boulevard for nearly a hundred years. The Firehouse is a two story brick building designed in a Classical Revival style. These classical design elements can be seen in the building’s symmetry, form, pediments, and decoration. The entry façade contains two bays, both two stories in height, which project slightly from the front. Classically inspired pediment, fire department symbols, and the decorated friezes are among the best in the city. Rusticated stonework around the building suggests a Romanesque Revival influence as well. Firehouse Number 3 has undergone rehabilitation using the Federal Tax Credits.
Mary Haley Galarneaux House
922-924 T Street
The Mary Haley Galarneaux house, built circa 1890, is an example of Italianate style. There is also some Eastlake influence seen in the spindles, small open corbels on the lower porch and floral or sunburst ornamentation above the windows. It is a two and half story duplex with a low gabled roof, a front porch with a balcony above. It was constructed with a brick foundation and redwood framing. The house is elevated several feet above street level to keep it above periodic flooding. All of the original exterior wood detailing and shiplap remains intact. In 1997 the property was listed on Sacramento’s “Fainted Ladies List” of endangered structures.
3731 T Street
The Goethe House was the home of Charles Mattias Goethe, one of Sacramento’s oldest and most notable businessmen and philanthropists. He made his fortune in real estate development and used his wealth to support many civic activities and organizations. Goethe is one of the founding fathers of Sacramento State College, now California State University, Sacramento to whom he willed the house.. His house was built in 1924 and is one of two buildings in Sacramento designed by architect Julia Morgan. Julia Morgan was a prominent California architect whose work includes William Randolph Hearst’s San Simeon estate. In her work, Morgan strived to combine outdoors with the interior of the house. In the Goethe house Morgan combines several porches and rooms with large windows and views of the exterior landscape. In 2007 research revealed that Mr. Goethe held strong opinions about a superior white race and believed in euthenasia. This has led to the renaming of a number Goethe places in Sacramento.+
John T. Greene Residence
3200 H Street
The John T. Greene residence was built in 1915 by the Greene and Greene architectural firm of Pasadena, California; it is the only representative of this firm in Sacramento. John T. Greene (no relation to the architects) worked in real estate as a land developer. He commissioned this house to serve as a prototype for quality residential housing near McKinley Park. Greene’s wife wished the house to have a strong Japanese feeling and therefore chose Greene and Greene as architects. The house is built of redwood and employs rustic materials to the façade including shingles, redwood beams, river rock and “clinker” bricks mixed with red brick.
704 O Street
The Heilbron House was built in 1881 by Nathaniel Goodell. Goodell designed the four story, Italianate style house to be similar to, but less pretentious than his design for the Governor’s Mansion. The first floor of the house was built eight feet above the street level to protect the residence from the frequent floods. Heilbron, a wealthy cattle rancher, known as one of California’s “cattle kings,” ran herds all over the state. Court actions concerning his business dealings helped to determine modern Riparian Rights laws. Very little of the exterior of the house has been changed. The interior was remodeled as a savings and loan branch office in the 1980s, and subsequently was given to the Mexican American organization La Raza and it is now owned and occupied by California State Parks.
1024-30 K Street
The Hotel Regis is a four story, square building which stands in the heart of downtown Sacramento. It was constructed in 1912 in an eclectic style combining Renaissance Revival and Chicago School. A horizontal projecting belt separates the ground floor from the upper three. Terra Cotta tiles adorn this belt ledge with a swirl pattern. Terra Cotta also adorns the upper floors and is used to frame the windows. At the roof level, four terra cotta ram’s heads with floral swags stand at the four corners. In 1927, the first floor was remodeled and the hotel entry was moved to the 11th Street side. The building has undergone exterior restoration.
1121 L Street
The Senator Hotel is a Renaissance Revival style, nine-story building constructed in a “C” shape around the first floor lobby. The building was designed by architects Kenneth Mac Donald and G. Albert Lansburgh, in 1924. The first floor façade is fronted with a long colonnaded arcade running the entire L Street elevation of the building. This arcade is covered with peach colored terra cotta scored to simulate stone blocks, pink cement plaster covers the upper levels of the building. Since its opening the Hotel has served as a key meeting place for state legislators and lobbyists. It has also played host to Presidents Harding, Nixon, Ford, and Carter. The building has seen some modification including the enclosing of the arcade and the removal of the Renaissance style window hoods which surmounted the upper story windows. The building was rehabilitated during the 1980s using Federal Tax Credits.
Edward P. Howe, Jr. House
2215 21st Street
The Edward P. Howe, Jr. was a life long resident of Sacramento who worked and contributed to public education in the city. His house is a large two-story residence built in the Colonial Revival style with some Shingle style elements. The first floor façade is surfaced with shiplap siding while the second is faced with shingles. The whole building is covered with a large gambrel roof with several hipped dormers. Modifications to this building are restricted to a small addition and a second story balcony, both located on the southwest corner. In 1979 the house underwent a large-scale rehabilitation using the Federal Tax Credits.
1010 F Street
The Hubbard/Upson House is one of the last remaining examples of “castellated” Gothic Revival architecture in the state. Dr. Victor J. Fourgeaud built the house in Gothic Revival style reminiscent of European castles. The irregular form of the building gets narrower as it moves from front to back. This construction was designed to utilize the “Delta” breezes of the Sacramento valley to cool the interior of the house by facilitating cross-ventilation. The building has experienced some alterations, including the removal of some brickwork decoration from the façade and covering the exterior in stucco.
I Street Bridge
State Highway 16 across the Sacramento River
The I street bridge is a double deck steel truss bridge with both fixed and swing spans, with steel stringer and girder approach spans. The lower deck of the bridge carries the double tracked main line of the Union Pacific Railroad (originally the Southern Pacific Railroad). The upper deck carries state Highway 16. This is the second bridge built at this location, the first was a timber “Howe truss” bridge, demolished to make way for the current bridge. The old bridge allowed a single-track and frequently bottlenecked the rail line. In 1910 Sacramento and Yolo counties started construction for a new double track bridge. Southern Pacific’s consulting engineer John D. Isaacs was the main designer on the project. When it was built the center bearing swing span weighed in at a total of 6,300,000 pounds making it the heaviest swing span in the world. It no longer holds the world record but it is still the heaviest in the United States.
J. Neely Johnson House
1029 F Street
The Greek Revival style J. Neely Johnson house was built in 1853. Greek Revival was a popular style in America in the 1850s, used for many capital buildings and prominent homes. The Johnson House stands as Sacramento’s only surviving residential example of the Greek revival style. The house served as the home of two of California’s governors, Gov. Burnett and Gov. Johnson, and was also home to California Supreme Court Judge David S. Terry. Exterior alterations have occurred, but are confined to the closing of the two-story side porch and a small one-room addition.
608-614 10th Street
Kuchler Row is a set of two residential buildings unique in the history of Sacramento. They are acknowledged as the first of numerous modern day apartment buildings. They were built in response to the city’s growing need for family housing near the center of employment. The buildings are Greek Revival with Italianate design elements. This ornate building design was unusual for low-income working class housing. Kuchler row also represents the “Delta Style” in which the house is raised above street level for protection against flooding.
Charles Lais House
1301 H Street
The Charles Lais house, built in 1896, is a one of the better examples of Queen Anne style architecture in Sacramento. Queen Anne elements of the building include slanted bays, gables with patterned shingles, sunbursts, scrollwork and several original leaded windows. One of the porches has a gable with a sunburst ornament and latticework, which is typical of the Oriental influence upon this style of architecture. The two and half story building was framed with redwood, covered with redwood “drop” siding. An elevated flood basement is typical of the Delta Style. Much of the building was damaged by a fire in 1980, but recovery efforts have restored the damage and returned the building to its original grandeur.
Libby McNeill & Libby Fruit and Vegetable Cannery
1724 Stockton Boulevard
The Libby McNeill and Libby Fruit and Vegetable Cannery is a large complex comprised of nine separate brick buildings. Constructed between 1912 and 1918 the buildings are of a architectural style unique to large industrial plants of the time. More than one architect contributed to this building during its construction. A.C. Rhoades was the primary designer with Washington Miller deigning the two warehouses. Few modifications have been made the original appearance. The Libby, McNeill and Libby Cannery was started 1868. With meager resources the three founders A.A. Libby, Charles Libby, and Archibald McNeill, founded what would become an international company and model for other businesses in the canning industry. They were the first with “iced” shipments and were the first to mechanically compress meat into their patented tapered tins. This business helped Sacramento to earn the title of “canning center of the west”. The buildings were rehabilitated during the 1980s using the Federal Tax Credits program and are now occupied by professionals and a health club.
McClatchy High School*
3066 Freeport Boulevard
McClatchy High School was constructed as a Public Works Administration (PWA) project. It was created in response to Sacramento’s need for a second city high school. It was the third school PWA school built in the city. Designed by architects Starks and Flanders the building is of “Moderne” or Art Deco design. The school is a long, two story building with a projecting center pavilion and two projecting sections on the south end and is constructed of reinforced concrete with a stucco facade and a low-pitched hipped Spanish tile roof. The whole building is topped with a decorative frieze which matches the frieze elements under the windows and above the doors. The building was placed on the National Register in the late 1990s in response to demolition of the WPA library building at Sacramento City Jr. College.
517 8th Street
The Mesick house was designed by architect Nathaniel Goodell in the late 1870s. Along with the Old Governors Mansion and the Heilbron House, it is the third Sacramento mansion designed by Goodell. The house is Italianate in style with a Second Empire designed Mansard roof. This roof style was a popular way to update the Italian Villa form of house. Located in the middle of Alkali Flats it is one of the more elaborate architectural designs in the neighborhood.
The Old Tavern (The Sacramento Brewery)
2801 Capital Avenue
The Old Tavern was built in the 1870’s by architect M. Madden. Several design styles are apparent in this building ranging from industrial to Arts and Crafts to English Period Revival. Originally, the building served as a warehouse and distillery. It eventually expanded on the site and became The Sacramento Brewery. The brewery was closed by prohibition in the 1920s, but during this time it housed residential apartments above ground and below ground a tavern. In the 1960’s it role changed again to serve as a wing and office building of Sutter Hospital. It continues to serve this purpose today. Numerous remodels have occurred to this building, but aspects of the original 1870’s design are visible. The Old Tavern was rehabilitated in the 1980s using the Federal Tax Credits and houses one of Sacramento’s better restaurants.
900 J Street
The Ruhstaller Building was constructed in the late 1800’s utilizing a variety of styles. It combines details from Victorian, Classical and Romanesque Revival architecture. Some of the more distinct features of the building are the rounded Queen Anne style tower and bays. The brick building stands three stories tall and is surfaced with a variety of stone, tile, and concrete. The Ruhstaller building was noted to have had one of the first “air cooling” systems in California. The system pumped cool water from the river through air blowers in the building. Owner Frank Ruhstaller was a prominent businessman in the city. He was the manager of the Buffalo Brewing Company and the Forum Investment Company. Today the building is used primarily as office space, retail shops and artists studios.
Sacramento Hall of Justice
813 6th Street
The Sacramento Hall of Justice was built in 1917 by the architects Shea and Lofquist. It was designed to be an ensemble piece to the already existing County Courthouse. Designed in the Beaux Arts style it uses classical forms, such as columns and arches and a large scale to denote strength and stability. These details along with the City beautiful principles, which emphasize symmetry, scale, and points of focus helped the Beaux Arts style to become the common choice for federal buildings and civic centers around the nation. The building is four stories tall, built with a steel frame and faced with stone, brick and terra cotta. Some alterations have been made including the infill of some windows with concrete block screens and fire escapes to the rear of the building.
Sacramento Junior College Annex and Extensions
3835 Freeport Boulevard
The Sacramento Junior College’s Annex and Extensions were the most costly PWA project in Sacramento. Built in 1936 and 1937 they were built to meet the needs of the growing city population and student body. Together they added an auditorium, gymnasium, library, aeronautical and engineering-technology laboratories, and many classrooms. Designed by notable Sacramento architect Harry Devine Sr. the buildings show signs of many diverse styles such as Mayan and Romanesque. These buildings are stylistically a transition bridging the gap from Devine’s early Romanesque designs into a more moderne style of work. The library building was demolished in the late 1990s after a long legal battle pursued by the Sacramento Old City Association.
Sacramento Masonic Temple
1131 J Street
This five story, concrete building was constructed between 1918 and 1920 to serve as the home of Sacramento branch of Freemasons. Sacramento architect Rudolph Herold designed the temple in a style similar to the Arts and Crafts Movement. The rectangular concrete building uses brick and terra cotta to adorn the exterior façade. The Masonic Temple has some of the finest interior architecture in the city.
Southern Pacific Railroad Company’s Sacramento Depot
5th and I Street
This building stands as the fourth depot built by Southern Pacific in Sacramento. As the city grew the depot was forced to expand and move to their present location. The San Francisco architectural firm of Bliss and Faville designed the structure and contractors Davison and Nicholsen built it. The three-story building was designed in Mediterranean style with influences from both Spain and Italy. The exterior walls are covered with Italian Pink Brick and the roof is covered with russet colored Spanish tiles, the whole building is trimmed with terra cotta. Amber colored glass fills the many station windows. The enormous waiting room contains a mural depicting the 1863 ground breaking for the first continental railroad, painted by one of San Francisco’s most prominent artists, John A. MacQuarrie. It is now owned by the City of Sacramento.
The Traveler’s Hotel
428 J Street
The Traveler’s Hotel opened in 1914 as one of the finest and most modern hotels on the Pacific Coast. Six stories tall, it was constructed of reinforced concrete and locally manufactured brown brick. Designed by architects Clarence C. Cuff and Maury I. Diggs the hotel was full of modern conveniences. These conveniences include dust chutes, laundry chutes, a central vacuum system and Sacramento’s first ice water circulating cooling system, which pumped water into all 226 rooms for cooling. This building was constructed by the Ransome Concrete Company, one of the originators of reinforced concrete. Founder E.L. Ransome wished to design an inexpensive means to build a fireproof and permanent construction. His idea was to use old cables, from San Francisco’s cable cars, to reinforce the concrete structure thereby combining the strength of iron with the strength of concrete. The hotel has been rehabilitated using the Federal Tax Credit program.
State Highway 276 across the American River
The Tower Bridge was constructed between 1934 and 1936 to carry the main line of the Sacramento Northern Railway across the American River. Along with the single track it also contained two traffic lanes and sidewalks. In 1963 the railroad tracks were removed and replaced with more traffic lanes. Sacramento Northern Railway moved their service to the I Street bridge at this time. The bridge was built by A. Teichert and Son Inc. It consists of a steel through truss vertical lift span and a steel truss and reinforced concrete and steel plate deck girder approach span. The whole exterior of the bridge was covered in bolted and riveted quarter inch plate steel, in an attempt to make the bridge more aesthetically pleasing. Special permission was sought from the US Bureau of Public Roads to paint the bridge its original silver color. The tower bridge is unique in that both the front and back legs are parallel, this allowed for a more Streamlined Moderne appearance. When the bridge was completed in 1936, it was the only vertical lift span bridge on the California Highway System.
Theodore Judah School
3919 McKinley Boulevard
The Theodore Judah School was constructed in the 1930s as two separate Public Works Administration (PWA) projects. It consists of two small school buildings both built in the Streamlined Moderne style which reached its pinnacle in the 1930s. This moderne style was characterized by flat roofs, smooth wall textures and minimal surface decoration. The school buildings are one story and finished with a stucco façade. Architect Charles Dean of the firm Dean and Dean, designed this school. At the time, Charles Dean was one of Sacramento’s premiere architectural designers. The only major alteration are the windows, originally of wood construction they are now aluminum. The building was nominated in the late 1990s in response to demolition of the WPA library building at Sacramento City Jr. College.
United States Post Office, Courthouse, and Federal Building
801 I Street
The state Federal Building is an “E” shaped building standing four stories tall with a full basement and small penthouse in the roof. The basement and first floor facades are covered in California Granite, while the upper levels are faced in a combination of terra cotta and brick. Upon its completion in 1938 the building was the home to all federal agencies in the area. Designed by the architectural firm of Starks and Flanders the building is classically influenced French Renaissance, a style typical of federal buildings but rarely seen in the West. Sacramento was the major domestic mail-handling center in northern California.
Van Voorhies Residence
925 G Street
Built in 1868 by architect Charles Cate, this residence is one of a few remaining Victorian brick residences left in the city. Located in the once prominent Alkali Flat region of the city, the Van Voorhies House once stood amongst the homes of some of the city’s most important citizens including governors and Supreme Court Justices. Resident Albert A. Van Voorhies was one of the city’s leading businessmen, owning his own wholesale and leather goods store. The house is a blend of Georgian and Italianate styles and is reminiscent of eastern Brownstone houses. It is a rectangular, brick, two story building with a low gabled roof. The façade is covered in plaster, which has beveled quoins, to simulate stone. The house has seen long periods of neglect and in has recently undergone extensive restoration to bring it up to code and return it to its original grandeur of 1868. Still in use are the original doors, windows, and most of the interior molding and wainscoting.
Anton Wagner Duplex
701 E Street
The Anton Wagner duplex is a fine example of 1800’s utilitarian or “vernacular” architecture. Few examples of this type of architecture still exist in the city. Similar utilitarian buildings were typically the first demolished to make way for more modern buildings. The duplex stands two stories tall and has a low-pitched gabled roof. A symmetrical front façade is made up of two side-by-side front entrances. Originally serving the public as affordable housing, the duplex evolved over the years into a warehouse, a grocery store, and a print shop.
Westminster Presbyterian Church*
1300 N Street
Built in 1927 by the Campbell Construction Company, the Westminster Presbyterian Church serves as one of the best examples of Spanish Eclectic Style in the Sacramento area. It was designed by the architectural firm of Dean and Dean. It is a square shaped building that occupies two full city lots. The exterior façade is surfaced with stucco and decorated with pre-cast cement. The exterior has changed little from its original 1927 appearance. A square ten story bell tower with a four-story bell shaped dome rise above the two story church building.
Julius Wetzlar House
1021 H Street
Built in 1871 the Julius Wetzlar House is a large two and half story Italianate style building. The home is essentially symmetrical with two wings projecting out from a central entrance bay. Original owner Julius Wetzlar was a German immigrant who, through his business relationships, came to own large blocks of Sacramento’s real estate. The house was sold in 1879 and since has been the home of many notable Sacramento businessmen and politicians, including Superior Court Judge Samuel Denson and Sate Senator Amos Caitlin. Starting in the 1920s the house underwent major modifications. In 1923, the façade of the structure was stripped of all ornamentation and was covered in stucco. Iin 1939 the house was moved to th back of the lot to allow for the construction of two new buildings, which obstruct the view of the house.
Edwin Witter Ranch
3480 Witter Way
The Edwin Witter Ranch, was originally the property of O. M. Saylor. The earliest structures were built between 1918 and 1921 in a simple utilitarian style. In 1933 Edwin Witter resigned his position at Dean Witter a brokerage he helped found. He purchased the Saylor property and constructed a new residence in the Spanish/Mediterranean Revival Style in 1934. That building was designed by the Williams and Wastell architectural firm. The ranch architecture consists of six buildings that are primarily agricultural related structures. They are wood frame buildings surfaced with both wood and corrugated metal siding. The farmhouse, tank house, and foreman’s cottage reflect some Craftsman details, but are dominated by the Spanish and Mediterranean revival style of the main residence.
Merchants National Bank of Sacramento
1015 7th Street
Merchants bank was designed by architect H.H. Winner in 1921. The building’s design transitions from purely classical to a more modern architecture. Corinthian columns illustrate classicism and the large industrial character plate glass windows illustrate the modern. The building is two stories, rectangular in form with the entrance corner cut at 45 degrees. The facade of the building is a mix of granite and plaster elements. It is one of a few remaining buildings in Sacramento that is an example of this transition style of late Classical Revival.
The Merchants National Bank building maintains high historical integrity with few changes from the original design. The interior is especially intact and restored with the teller counters, brass fittings, ceiling coffers and other features still in place.
Eastern Star Hall
2719 K Street
Completed in 1928 the Eastern Star hall is one of four buildings in the nation devoted to the order of the Eastern Star, a part of the Masonic Order where women take the prominent role instead of men. The Eastern Star Hall is of Romanesque Revival style with Moorish and Byzantine elements. The building stands more than three stories in height and has a gabled roof covered in terra cotta tiles with brick chimnies on either end. The lower third of the façade is decorated with horizontal stripes of terra cotta and brick. The remainder of the building is simple brick. The interior has four levels: a lower level multi purpose room; the first floor entry space with its grand staircase; the second floor with two Masonic rooms; and the top floor ballroom with a stage. The Eastern Star Hall has had minimal alterations throughout the years and both the interior and exterior of the building retain a high level of historical integrity.
Calpak Plant No. 11
1721 C Street
Calpak Plant #11, constructed by the Del Monte Corporation is a large rectangular building that occupies two full city blocks between 16th and 18th streets on C Street. It was designed by Philip Bush, the Chief of the company’s Engineering Department. It is brick, two stories high, bisected in the middle by a taller central element, with a stepped parapet. A metal bridge spans across C Street, to a second processing center. Calpak was the largest canning company in the world when they built this cannery in 1925. Plant No.11 was the largest of its kind in the world. It was also the last cannery in use in the old city area of Sacramento. Calpak came to Sacramento due to its booming agriculture industry and helped Sacramento to earn the title of “canning center of the West.” Alterations have occurred, such as multiple expansions to the rear of the plant and employee offices opposite the building’s central bays. Currently the Blue Diamond Growers Exchange owns and operates the building.
Dunlap’s Dining Room
4322 Fourth Avenue
Dunlap’s Dining Room is a one story Colonial Revival house with a large two-story rear addition. Built in 1907 this building originally served as the home of George T. Dunlap, one of Sacramento’s leading African American entrepreneurs. The rear addition was built in the 1920s to serve as additional housing for the extended Dunlap family. In 1930 Dunlap’s Dining Room opened to the public as a restaurant. It quickly became “the place” in Sacramento to eat and was open for 38 years. Its patrons included mostly middle class white families. It was popular for business, social, and religious groups as well as members of Sacramento’s government. It is a rectangular building with hipped roofs on both the front and rear sections of the building and a large porch that stretches across the entire width of the façade. This building retains a high level of historical integrity since most of its modification occurred in its interior and since the exterior expansion occurred relatively early. The building is now a part of the U C Davis Medical Center.
Sacramento Bank Building
The Sacramento Bank building was built in 1914 as a commercial bank in the Oak Park area of Sacramento. At the time of its opening the Oak Park suburb was one of Sacramento’s most prominent neighborhoods. The bank was originally seen as a beacon of the areas thriving business community. It is a one story, triangular shaped building, constructed in the Neo-Classical style by architect James Seadler and Gideon Holt. Neo-classicism was popular at the time, a symbol of strength and stability as well as a marker of resurgence of classical ideas and interests. The bank was constructed with reinforced concrete frame and the exterior of cement plaster. The arched doorway has a series of medallions which mark the founding of the Sacramento Bank in 1867 and the opening of this branch in 1914. Many major modifications have occurred to this building over the years, most notably the loss of the large copper dome in 1947. Also at this time the interior was completely stripped of the original detailing in favor of modern decorations. Despite the alterations the building retains a level of classical detail and stands today as the only example of neo-classical architecture in Sacramento.
Sacramento City Library
828 I Street
The Sacramento City Central Library is a three story Italian Renaissance style rectangular building designed by San Francisco Architect Loring Rixford in 1918. The façade is decorated with horizontal course lines of rose color brick as well as terra cotta tiles from Gladding McBean. The building is the only historic structure remaining on the block after the development of a high rise office building and the new library building adjacent to the original. Sacramento’s central library was a gift by the Carnegie Foundation who funded libraries across the nation. Carnegie foundation was usually not inclined to fund larger central libraries, but was convinced to grant $100,000, a very large sum for the time for this significant addition to Sacramento.